Tuesday, April 16, 2024

WORKING AT THE ORCHARD

We were given an Orchard assignment last week. We needed to find 2 volunteers from each ward for Monday Tuesday and Wednesday of this week to go out to help plant 2500 Ambrosia Apple trees.  Brother & Sister Adamson signed up for Tuesday so Tony and I took Monday. We'll probably go out on Wednesday as well because no one else signed up.  Dang!!

It was a bit cool so we were glad we brought a jacket.

A tractor went by and dug the trench and men (orchard paid workers)  placed the trees where needed. 

Then the volunteers went after each tree and pushed the dirt into and around the tree and stamped it down with their feet. 

Then bamboo poles were placed by each tree and we would tape it to the tree with green plastic tape. 

They planted eight rows on Monday because they had to go after all was done and prune the tree and then water them. 

Tony cut the tape for me and I wrapped and tied the pole to the tree. I told him to do it to one tree so I could get a picture. lol

He could kneel and I can't so I had to bend and tie. I look ridiculous but HEY, who looks great out in the orchard anyway! lol

Looking back on the field as we finished for the day!

It's amazing what the Lord will do for this orchard. No matter how unaccomplished we are in our gardening skills, the Lord makes up the difference and our orchard is most successful !! We are blessed for our efforts and it blesses many lives of those who need help.

We had a great turnout so hopefully Tuesday will be just as good. Tony and I will go out again on Wednesday so our ward will meet it's quota. Don't want to shirk our duties.

We finished for the day and it was done in a matter of 2 1/2 hours. We were told that we might be there till 1 or later. Pleasant surprise. Many hands make light work!!

Several apple tree in bloom as we left to come home. It was beautiful! It wasn't hard work but we were both tired when we got home. Tony was going to go to the gym to walk but I told him I didn't want to go. I'd had enough. lol I made us a salad with fried chicken on it and we sat down and watched a little TV to rest while we ate. It didn't take long for him to change his mind and not go. 

No comments: